It's been a while since I've updated the theme of the blog, so I spent some time re-doing my blog. My main goal was to create something built for responsive. I was able to bootstrap my idea, with the Start Bootstrap - Clean Blog theme. This leverages Bootstrap for the base CSS and adds some specialized styling. I made a few tweaks to the template source, to adjust it based on the way I wanted.
Here's a few of the tweaks I made:
- Tweaked the navigation bar to be sticky when scrolling (it used to only re-appear when scrolling up).
- Added styling for comments.
- Enlarged the checkbox element
There's still a few things I want to tweak:
- Limit index page blog content. I got away from splitting my content up with leading copy. I want to add some intelligent parsing to limit how much of each blog entry shows. If I haven't explicitly split content, I want to limit the content to 1 or 2 block elements (either 1 large block, or 2 smaller blocks). I'll probably do this by parsing the content, then doing a word count on the first couple of paragraphs.
- Use AJAX for all form submission. I just didn't have time to get to it over the weekend.
- I may decide to bring the search feature back—but I suspect I was the only who used it.
I did end up dropping a number of features, because I just didn't feel they were ultimately needed. I wanted something cleaner that concentrated just on content and most really didn't offer any value to readers. Here are some things I dropped:
- The sidebar category navigation.
- The "Calendar" pod.
- The "Recent Comments" pod.
- My old "Photo album"—this hadn't been updated in a long time and there are better places for friends to find my photos!
- Subscribing to my blog.
- Searching my blog.
If you want to see what it looked like before the change, check out the old version on the Wayback Machine archive.
Comments for this entry have been disabled.